What is HIICAP?
It is New York's Health Insurance Information, Counseling & Assistance Program. HIICAP's mission is to provide information, individual counseling and assistance to people about MEDICARE as well as private health insurance coverage and other health insurance issues for seniors. This service is intended for people who currently have Medicare or will soon be eligible for it.
In Franklin County, the Office for the Aging takes the lead in coordinating and supporting HIICAP counselors. Sarah Weilacher, Coordinator of Services for the Aging, is the Coordinator of the program. Local Adult Center Directors, NY Connects Case Managers, and In Home Care Program Assistants are trained to provide insurance counseling. HIICAP counselors can assist with health insurance questions about benefits, options, paperwork and resources and help people to make informed decisions about health care coverage.
Some of the topics covered under HIICAP are:
- MEDICARE Parts A & B and what they cover
- Medicare Supplement Insurance plans (Medigap Plans)
- Medicare Advantage Plans (Medicare Part C - coverage that combines original Medicare and insurance in one plan)
- Medicare Prescription Drug Plans (Medicare Part D)
- NYS EPIC - Elderly Pharmaceutical Insurance Coverage for New Yorkers age 65 and over
- Medicaid - medical coverage for low-income people who meet specific income and resource guidelines
Trained HIICAP Counselors can help individuals compare coverage options, determine eligibility and complete required paperwork for applications when appropriate. They can also assist with on-going coverage questions relating to billing of medical expenses or other paperwork from insurers. The HIICAP Coordinator provides training to Counselors on new laws, changing State and Federal Regulations, and new developments in the health insurance industry.
Coordinator of Services for the Aging
NYS Office for the Aging HIICAP website